Saturday, January 15, 2011

Twitter is Out to Get Me!

I've always loved watching the awards shows. I think I really loved it as a kid to see the dresses and the glitz and glamour, but in the recent years, as I've actually watched many of the movies nominated, it has been great to watch the best actors and actresses of our day get rewarded for their talent. Within the last year or so, I would always have my computer out and do facebook status updates with certain things I was happy or surprised about during the evening of the show. I would have at least twenty status updates in the span of three hours, and I'm sure it drove many of my "friends" crazy, leading them to hide me from their newsfeeds. Steve joked that I should get a Twitter account to use just for awards season, and I would laugh and say that's a stupid idea. However, the idea began to grow on me. It would be a complete gimmick, and we all know that I love a good gimmick.

Earlier this week, as I was doing the daily rounds of reading online news, I saw that the Golden Globes are this Sunday. I was beyond excited and decided that I would indeed start a Twitter account in celebration of the season. Now I just had to come up with an account name. I needed it to be unique, but not so off the wall that I would regret it down the road. It took me back to the '90s and early '00s when email began to take off. You would come up with a great gimmick name, only to regret it years down the road when you wanted to be taken more seriously - aka MissVieve. So I enlisted the help of my family. Steve came up with jenny7. Way too boring. He then countered with crazychick1123. That had some potential. My mom came up with mylifehasbeenreducedtotwitteringaboutawardsshows. Hmmm... Steve came up with a few more: goldenglobetweeter, globetweeter. JC even chimed in with a few. I have to say, I was excited for what JC would come up with. He is really good at coming up with user names. However, this is what he had to offer this time: globetweeter1123, goldenticket1123, majoraward7, gleeaward7 (I have no idea why this was a suggestion seems as how I loathe Glee), and appalachaward. (That last one was pretty clever.) Steve mocked him by saying, "Usually there are not wrong answers in brainstorming, but we are getting close to an exception." JC came back with trailerparktweet and doublewide7. I have to admit that trailerparktweet was a good one.

Now that I had some ideas, I went to Twitter.com to see if any of these were available. Obviously mylifehasbeenreducedtotwitteringaboutawardsshows had no chance of being taken, but I was worried about a character limit. Sure enough, I could only get to mylifehasbeenre. Complete disaster. My next try: globetweeter. Already taken. Trailerparktweets. Still too long. I started to get frustrated. What kind of a site has a 15 character limit? I couldn't even use my full name if I wanted to. I didn't want to settle for some stupid name because the more I thought about mylifehasbeenreducedtotwitteringaboutawardsshow, the more the name grew on me. It really sums up my life in a nutshell. So, I decided to start a blog instead, and "A Day in the Life of an Awards Show Junkie" was born. Be sure to check in on award show nights to see what I have to say. And who knows - maybe I will end up blogging more than just award shows. Maybe I'll end up doing book reviews...

2 comments:

  1. Book reviews! I'm so jealous I didn't think of it first. Your first one should be about a Thomas Hardy novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I really do think I should do book reviews...along with the award shows. What better way is there to express the inner trailer park trash and elitist inside of me?

    ReplyDelete